Please see below a media release from the City of Burlington.
Burlington, Ont. –April 18, 2019 — The City of Burlington is now accepting applications for the Park Play Experience Fund at burlington.ca/parkplayfund. The deadline for submissions is Monday, May 27, 2019. The Park Play Experience Fund is a one-year funding program that has been expanded from the Healthy Kids Community Challenge initiative.
The Parks Play Experience Fund will provide up to $1,500 to bring people together and encourage our community to get outside and play in City of Burlington parks, trails and open spaces.
“Play starts when we are young, but it never really stops. Play is for all ages, cultures and abilities. An outdoor play experience can be anything that encourages participation at any age group or demographic — passive or active; sport, recreational, cultural or educational in nature; connecting with nature and being outdoors.” — Chris Glenn, Director of Parks and Recreation
Park Play Experience is designed to:
- Encourage outdoor play experiences in City parks, trails or open spaces
- Encourage neighbourhoods and community groups to get together and play outdoors
- Create new community connections
- Enhance playability, walkability or connectivity within City neighbourhood parks, trails and open spaces
Ideas for types of Outdoor Play Experiences include:
- Create a walking group on our trails
- Organize a neighbourhood park play day
- Organize a neighbourhood recreation program
- Purchase equipment to be shared among the community that will enhance play
- Introduce new outdoor park play experiences to enhance an existing program and encourage more people to get outside
How the fund works
The Park Play Experience must be:
- Open and inclusive to the entire community
- Within the City of Burlington
- Free or under five dollars ($5)
- A one-time funding request
- Able to satisfy insurance requirements (listed online at burlington.ca/parkplayfund)
- In compliance with municipal, provincial and federal regulatory standards (i.e. standards for playgrounds, building codes)
Each application will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- The request meets all criteria for funding
- The overall feasibility of the experience
- Tangible benefits and outcomes from the experience
- How many people it will impact in the neighbourhood
- A realistic budget that clearly outlines how the budget will be spent
- Ability to complete the experience before Dec. 31, 2019
The City of Burlington encourages people of all ages to get outside and enjoy the many parks, outdoor spaces, playfields and recreational play experiences that support active living and a healthy lifestyle for all ages, abilities and cultures.