Welcome to the Mayor’s Monday Mailbag, an initiative Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward and the Mayor’s Office has launched to share weekly answers to questions from the public we’ve received through our main email inbox at email@example.com or the Mayor’s social media platforms.
At the end of the month, we’ll publish a roundup of those most pressing questions we’ve received in the weeks prior.
Mayor’s Monday Mailbag – Nov. 15, 2021
“What is happening with the site of the former Robert Bateman High School? I’m hearing rumours about its potential use.”
Brock University and the City of Burlington continue to work on plans to relocate Brock’s current Hamilton campus to a new site in Burlington that forms part of our City’s goal to attract post-secondary education locally.
The City of Burlington has expressed an interest in the former Robert Bateman High School site under the Burlington Lands Partnership structure, and Brock University has been identified as one potential user of the facility. At this time, space requirements for the university are being discussed, and the City is also looking to move the Burlington Library Appleby branch into the facility in our planning.
The Halton District School board shared that they would want to hold on to a portion of the Bateman site as home to their adult learning programs, language instruction programs for newcomers, and other uses.
Today, (Monday, Nov. 15), our Environment, Infrastructure and Community Services (EICS) Committee will receive a staff report to update Council on the Robert Bateman site, and we will hear from the project lead about the progress being made in regards to due diligence.
- Mayor’s Monday Mailbag – Nov. 8, 2021 – Why did the OLT Approve the 29-Storey Tower at Lakeshore & Pearl?
- Mayor’s Monday Mailbag – Nov. 1, 2021 – When Will the Loose-Leaf Collection Program Begin?
- Mayor’s Mailbag – October 2021 Roundup – Noise from Loud Vehicles, Complaints About Council Decision or Council/City Conduct, & Halloween Provincial Guidelines
- Mayor’s Mailbag – September 2021 Roundup – National Day for Truth & Reconciliation, Where Should I Direct my City-Related Questions, & Changes to Noise Regulation of Transportation of Goods
- Mayor’s Mailbag – August 2021 Roundup – Mixed vaccines & travel, Memorializing a loved one, & Construction hours of operation
- Mayor’s Monday Mailbag — July 2021 Roundup — Fireworks regulations, Millcroft Greens development, lifting of mask mandate & high-rises at Holland Park site
- Mayor’s Monday Mailbag — June 2021 Roundup — Development applications, vaccine supply & gunk on the beach
*Posted by John Bkila, Mayor’s Media and Digital Communications Specialist