Welcome to the Mayor’s Monday Mailbag, an initiative Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward and the Mayor’s Office has launched to share weekly answers to questions from the public we’ve received through our main email inbox at email@example.com or the Mayor’s social media platforms.
At the end of the month, we’ll publish a roundup of those most pressing questions we’ve received in the weeks prior.
Mayor’s Monday Mailbag – July 12, 2021
“Hearing news about Oakville’s Glen Abbey Golf Course being saved by the Ministry stepping in. Can the Ministry, our MPPs, Region and City work together with the applicant to bring a similar conclusion to protect the Millcroft Golf Course from proposed development?”
We were all delighted by the news of the Province stepping up to protect Glen Abbey, and the decision on July 9 by Clublink to withdraw their appeals to the Ontario Lands Tribunal and continue operating as a golf course.
All of Regional Council, which includes all seven members of Burlington City Council, supported protecting this greenspace and seeking the Minister’s Zoning Order (MZO). We are grateful for the advocacy of local MPPs in this matter, and for Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing the Hon. Steve Clark’s actions in response to community input.
The Glen Abbey application was further along than the one for Millcroft in Burlington, and it had already completed the planning review and a vote by Oakville Council.
Our planning review in Burlington for Millcroft is still underway. To date, we have not received any indication that our review can be set aside midstream, prior to a recommendation and vote by council, and replaced with consideration of other options. So, for now, the review is continuing to reach those steps.
The review will culminate in a recommendation from staff, that could include refusal, approval, or approval with conditions, and a vote by council, that could be to accept or reject the staff recommendation, or modify it.
That recommendation and vote is expected by September/October 2021.
Those steps still remain. So, for now, until we hear otherwise, these are the expected next steps and timelines on the Millcroft file. If anything changes, we will be sure to let the public know.
It is helpful to know about all the options available to city and regional council, such as an MZO, and the Minister’s willingness to use this tool — if needed — based on advocacy from local communities and fellow MPPs. We are grateful for the interest they have shown on this file, and the value they place on greenspace. Certainly, the Province’s actions are indicative of the importance they place on greenspace, and that must factor into any decision-making on any greenspace.
Please rest assured that all of Burlington Council is deeply committed to ensuring the best decision is made on the Millcroft file, especially given the significant impacts on greenspace, with a view to ensuring the best outcome in conversation with our residents, planning staff and the applicant.
There is more to come, and as we learn more news, we will be sure to share it.
- Mayor’s Monday Mailbag – July 5, 2021 — Fireworks Bylaw & Enforcement
- Mayor’s Monday Mailbag — June 2021 Roundup — Development applications, vaccine supply & gunk on the beach
*Posted by John Bkila, Mayor’s Media and Digital Communications Specialist