*Please see below a news release issued by the Region of Halton.
The Regional Municipality of Halton
For Immediate Release
November 8, 2021
Halton Region is starting consultations with the community on its proposed Solid Waste Management Strategy. The proposed Strategy includes medium (four to 10 years) and long-term (11+ years) initiatives to increase the waste diversion rate, extend the life of the Halton Waste Management Site (landfill) and reduce carbon emissions. To provide input, residents can complete an online survey by December 10, 2021 or participate in virtual Public Information Centres (PIC) happening in mid-November.
“Reducing community waste and protecting the natural environment has always been a top priority for Halton Region and our residents. Our proposed Solid Waste Management Strategy builds on our community’s ongoing efforts and outlines how we can continue to work together to improve our waste management programs and services for you. Thank you all Halton residents and businesses who continue to use our programs and reduce their waste—we look forward to your input and feedback!” — Halton Regional Chair Gary Carr
Since the introduction of the Green Cart program, enhancements to the Blue Box program and other ongoing improvements, Halton Region has increased the waste diversion rate by more than 15 per cent and extended the life of the landfill by more than 30 years. The proposed Strategy includes initiatives that will help to maximize the amount of waste being reduced, reused, recycled or composted so it can be diverted from landfill. These initiatives also help to reduce carbon emissions from the Region’s solid waste system.
To find more information and provide input, residents and businesses can visit halton.ca/waste to:
- Learn more about the new proposed Solid Waste Management Strategy: Find out about the key initiatives and read the full Solid Waste Management Strategy.
- Complete an online survey: Residents are invited to take a short survey. The survey is open until December 10, 2021.
- Participate in a virtual Public Information Centre: Each PIC includes a presentation about the proposed Strategy and initiatives, followed by a question and answer period. Virtual PICs will be held via Zoom from 6 to 8 p.m. on:
- Tuesday, November 23, 2021
- Wednesday, November 24, 2021
- Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Community feedback will be used to inform the final Solid Waste Management Strategy, which will be presented to Regional Council in spring 2022.
To request the survey, the proposed Strategy or the PIC materials in an alternative format, please call 311 or email email@example.com
*Posted by John Bkila, Mayor’s Media and Digital Communications Specialist