Press Release —The City of Burlington is encouraging residents to recognize their neighbourhood crossing guards during School Crossing Guard Awareness Week, March 19 to 23.
School Crossing Guard Week is marked annually in Burlington to celebrate the individuals across the city that assist young residents in making their way to and from school safely each day.
- As of Jan. 1, 2016, all vehicles and cyclists are required by the Ontario Highway Traffic Act to stop and wait until children and crossing guards have cleared the entire roadway at school crossings.
- Support your local school crossing guard by:
- Stopping when the school crossing guard’s stop sign is raised
- Remaining stopped in your vehicle until all children and the school crossing guard have cleared the roadway
- Not stopping or parking in, or near crosswalks used by children or crossing guards
- Checking for school crossing guards before turning at all traffic signalsObeying the posted speed limit.
Links and Resources
The City of Burlington is currently looking to fill positions for spare crossing guards, an on-call position to cover absences. For more information about how to become a school crossing guard, visit www.burlington.ca/crossingguard