*Please see the media release below issued by the City of Burlington.
Burlington, Ont.—Sept. 8, 2020 — On Wednesday, Sept. 23, between 6 and 7:30 p.m., the City of Burlington will hold another telephone town hall event to share information and answer resident questions about our community and COVID-19 as we head into the fall.
The town hall will be hosted by Mayor Marianne Meed Ward, who will be joined by a panel of local leaders to help answer residents’ questions, including:
- Tim Commisso, City Manager at the City of Burlington
- Pat Daly, Director of Education at Halton Catholic District School Board
- Stuart Miller, Director of Education at Halton District School Board
- Eric Vandewall, President and Chief Executive Officer at Joseph Brant Hospital
- Mary Battaglia, Director of Roads, Parks and Forestry, City of Burlington
- Denise Beard, Manager of Community Development, City of Burlington
- Allan Magi, Executive Director of Environment, Infrastructure and Community Services, City of Burlington
- Rory Nisan, Ward 3 City and Regional Councillor
- Members of Burlington City Council will be present and listening.
How to Participate
Residents who would like to participate in the town hall can do so in the following ways:
- Register in advance: Burlington residential phone numbers will be randomly selected to be part of the telephone town hall. Residents who would like to be added to the telephone call list can email firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the day on Sept. 22.
Please note: if you registered for any of the previous town halls (held on March 26, April 14, June 4 or July 16), you are not required to register your phone number again. To remove a name from the call list, email email@example.com by the end of the day on Sept. 22.
- Join by telephone: Anyone who does not receive a telephone invitation can call 1-800-779-0904 just before 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 23 to join the town hall. For those individuals calling in, please be advised more than one attempt may be required due to the high volume of traffic on the phone lines. If the first call does not connect, please hang up and dial the 1-800 number again.
Once the call begins, a moderator will provide participants with instructions for how to submit their questions to the leadership panel.
Many of the questions not answered during the call will be posted, with answers, to the City’s website at burlington.ca/townhall, along with an audio file and full transcript of the call after Sept. 23.
MAYOR MEED WARD’S TAKE:
As students head back to school, our community is understandably concerned about how this will impact the health of our families and our COVID-19 response. This town hall is timed to help us connect as we continue our efforts to mitigate the spread of this virus and keep our community healthy. I look forward to hearing directly from our local schoolboards and healthcare professionals, as well as many parents and community members as we face this next step together.
- Since the COVID-19 outbreak, the City of Burlington has hosted four telephone town hall events, on March 26, April 14, June 4 and July 16 to provide updates about what the City is doing to protect the health and safety of our community and to address concerns from the public related to COVID-19.
- Audio recordings and full transcripts from the previous telephone town hall events are available online at burlington.ca/townhall. Answers to the questions asked by the public during these town hall events are also available at the same location on the City’s website.
PLEASE NOTE: To stay updated on what the City of Burlington is doing regarding COVID-19, please visit the dedicated pages burlington.ca/coronavirus (and subscribe) and bit.ly/mayormeedwardCOVID19updates, and our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page — bit.ly/COVID19BurlingtonFAQ that are updated as new information becomes available.
A Burlington COVID-19 Task Force has been created to help support our community through this unprecedented emergency — updates will be provided at burlington.ca/COVID19taskforce.
To report an incident of non-compliance with provincial emergency orders, please contact the Halton Regional Police Service COVID-19 Hotline: 905-825-4722.
We’ve also created a dedicated page to feature the local organizations and businesses that have inspired us during the COVID-19 pandemic by taking action to support our community in new and creative ways — head to bit.ly/covidwallofinspiration.
HELPFUL RESOURCES & RELATED LINKS:
- Community questions and requests regarding City of Burlington services can be directed to Service Burlington by phone at 905-335-7777, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or online.
- Halton Region has created a Reopening Schools resource webpage for parents, students and teachers at halton.ca/covid19.
- For further COVID-19 information, including where to get tested, please visit Halton Region Public Health halton.ca/coronavirus
- Residents can stay informed at burlington.ca/coronavirus as well as on our social media channels: @cityburlington on Twitter and facebook.com/cityburlington
- Questions about the cancellation of Recreation programs can be directed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-335-7738
- City of Burlington: www.burlington.ca/coronavirus
- Resources for Residents & Non-Profit Organizations: www.burlington.ca/covid19resources.
- Halton Region: www.halton.ca/coronavirus
- Government of Ontario: www.ontario.ca/coronavirus
- Provincial Emergency Orders: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200052
- Government of Canada: www.canada.ca/coronavirus
- World Health Organization: www.who.int
- Joseph Brant Hospital: josephbranthospital.ca/covid-19
- Team Burlington Business Supports: burlingtonchamber.com/team-burl-supporting-burl-business-during-covid-19/
- Burlington Food Bank: call 905-637-CARE (2273), or visit burlingtonfoodbank.ca
- Food for Life: call 905-635-1106 and press 7, or visit foodforlife.ca
- Canadian Mental Health Association – Halton Branch: call 289-291-5396, or visit halton.cmha.ca
*Posted by John Bkila, Mayor’s Media and Digital Communications Specialist