SEPT Ask the Councillor: Does this real estate sign conform? Can boats be parked in driveways? What can I do about rats in my neighbourhood? Is heat regulated in apartments?

locust-real-estate-signResident B.I. asks: Does this real estate sign on Locust Street conform to our bylaws?

Response: No this sign does not conform. Real estate signs are limited in size to  3msq; this sign is 9msq. The owner has been notified to remove the sign.


boat in driveway

Resident J.C. asks: My neighbour has a small boat stored on their driveway. Due to this storage everyday all day until the evening their second car is parked on the street. I wanted to wait and see if the boat would be moved but it has not in over 6 months. Is there any type of bylaw  about this?

Response: Under the City of Burlington Zoning By-law 2020, any recreational vehicle, trailer, or any load thereon including a boat, whether on or off a trailer or other supporting device, which does not exceed a height of 1.82 metres, may be parked or stored in any yard all year long.

Any recreational vehicle, trailer, or any load including a boat is permitted in any yard between May 1st and October 31 st  as per the Zoning bylaw with one exception: if it exceeds a height of 1.82 meters/ 5.9 feet the parking and storing is only permitted in yards other than the front yard.

With regards to the street parking, the maximum time permitted on street (outside the downtown core) is five hours. To report violations, contact:

Business Hours – Parking Services

o   905-335-7816


After Hours – Halton Regional Police

o   905-878-5511 – ask for Dispatch

o   Police will dispatch a Parking Officer.

halton-rat-preventionResident P. G. asks: I have talked with neighbours up and down my street and we have a major rat infestation. What can the city do to help with this? This is far too big a problem to be handled in a piecemeal fashion by a few homeowners. We need a coordinated effort.

 Response: The City becomes involved with a rat complaint if the rodent problem is associated with city property (for example a park or watercourse).  City “property standards by-law” becomes involved if a property standards issue is contributing to the rodent problem.   The  Region of Halton’s Health Department’s role is to provide education on the prevention and control of rodents. The Region can also assist with advising residents about steps to take to help make areas less attractive to rodents. More information on rat infestations is available on the Region’s website here: Rat Prevention & Control

Resident G.P. asks: I work as a security guard at the front desk of a building in your ward. A visiting Personal Support Worker on her way out of the building expressed serious concern about the temperature and humidity in the building’s hallways, in particular relative to the health and safety of our older residents. Is a bylaw or any other governing principle in place to cover this topic?


There are not any by-laws that regulate the level of heat in hallways and common spaces. The Property Standards By-Law does address having to maintain a temperature during certain times of the year (cooler months) but does not speak to heat levels in summer.

Written by Marianne Meed Ward

A Better Burlington began in 2006 after my neighbours said they felt left out of city decisions, learning about them only after they’d been made.

As journalist for 22 years, I thought “I can do something about that” and a website and newsletter were born. They’ve taken various forms and names over the years, but the intent remains: To let you know what’s happening at City Hall before decisions are made, so you can influence outcomes for A Better Burlington.

The best decisions are made when elected representatives tap the wisdom of our community members, and welcome many different perspectives.This site allows residents to comment and debate with each other; our Commenting Guidelines established in 2016 aim to keep debate respectful.

Got an idea or comment you want to share privately? Please, get in touch:


Leave a Reply
  1. Please Marianne, would you explain the rules regarding litter on public streets ? We live at Forest Heights on Upper Middle Road. All the owners who use the underground car parking facilities have to put their garbage out on a Sunday, by a lamp standard, on Upper Middle Road. It looks completely disgusting when people drive along the road, and of course, is open to abuse by people who don’t even live at Forest Heights, as we have seen,,,,,,,,,, Rather like a third world country, so surely, this constitutes as littering on a public thoroughfare ? Would like your take on this subject.
    Thank you so very, very much for your informative newsletter – just wish the condo association would be as considerate. Thanks, Nita Farquharson

    • Nita, We have similar issues in the downtown. That said, if the designated drop off spot for garbage is the lamp post that’s where people will put it, unless the condo were to arrange an internal pick up/drop off. Regarding others dropping off their garbage – this would be difficult to enforce without sending bylaw to go through each bag to determine if it belongs to a resident or someone else.

What's your take?





Drain your pool water safely

Tragically Hip broadcast in Spencer Smith Park raises almost $4000 for local cancer care, research