Our weekly series “Budget Briefs” lets residents know how our community will be benefitting from specific investments in Burlington’s approved 2023 Operating and Capital Budget.
• • •
During 2023 Budget deliberations, Councillor Rory Nisan brought forward two related motion memos that would see the City of Burlington provide additional ongoing funding for future active transportation initiatives and funding to “Open Streets” initiatives and events for 2023 and subject to further consideration for future years.
Here are the two full motions:
- Active Transportation
- Add ongoing funding of $500,000 to the 2023 budget for future active transportation capital initiatives related to the endorsed Cycling Master Plan, to fund future initiatives in accordance with the eventual Integrated Mobility Plan and direct the Chief Financial Officer to develop a reserve fund by-law for this purpose.
- Open Streets Initiatives
- Add operational funding of $100,000 to the 2023 budget for Open Streets Initiatives and events, including $15,000 for Canada Day on Brant Street from Lakeshore Road to Caroline Avenue and appropriate funding for the Appleby Line Street Festival, for 2023 subject to further consideration by recreation, community and culture strategy work for future years; and
- Direct the Director of Recreation, Community and Culture and Director of Transportation to collaborate with the Community Development/Neighbourhood Capacity Building Strategy for community events to develop a program that would identify specific closure times (eg weekends) and mitigate conflicts with residential and emergency access.
Council approved the motions to include them in the 2023 Budget. Copies of the original memos are available on pages 33-34 and 40-41 of the 2023 Budget Appendix: F-01-23-1 App B 2023 Council Budget Motion Memorandums. You can also find what was approved in the Meeting Minutes of our Feb. 6 meeting under ‘Item 4.1 – O’ and ‘Item 4.1 – Q’.
• • •
- Joint Statement on the Burlington 2023 Budget: Investing in our Community Now & for Future Generations
- City of Burlington News Release: Burlington Council Approves 2023 Budget Focused on Improving & Protecting the Future of our Growing & Changing City
- Additional Budget Briefs:
- Several Creek Projects Happening in 2023 for Stormwater Management, Including Erosion Control & Drainage Improvements
- Burlington Continuing Free Beachway Parking Pass Program for Halton Residents
- Improvements Coming to Several Burlington Roadways in 2023 & Over Next Four Years
- Free Transit for Youth on Weekends, Evenings in Burlington
- Upgrades to 13 Burlington Parks Coming in 2023; Several More Over Next Four Years